Top 10 City Break Destinations In 2017
All geared up for the New Year? In our last blog of 2016 we're counting down 10 city break destinations we're most looking forward to in 2017. See the events that we most recommend basing a trip around, plus any new exciting tours and attractions we have lined up.
Have you made a New Year's resolution to do something differently in 2017? It goes without saying that the simplest resolution goals are the best, so if you're planning an Italian city break in coming 12 months why not say 'alla prossima' to Roma and 'ciao' to Turin?
The city flaunts a civic elegance similar to that of Milan, and more than enough culture to match its southern peer. It boasts a comparable wealth of attractions all while managing to be less touristy - a quality increasingly sought after by travellers in our our novel, interconnected world. See what tours and attractions we plan on adding to Turin in the coming months, and a handful of great times to visit the city in 2017.
Upcoming Tours / Attractions:
- City Sightseeing Turin 24-Hour Tour + Museo Nazionale dell'Automobile.
- Palazzo Madama - Civic Museum of Ancient Art.
- Venaria Royal Palace.
- Egyptian Museum Guided Tour.
What's On In Turin? | Our Picks - 2017:
- 1) 20th 'CinemAmbiente' Environmental Film Festival (May 31st - June 5th).
- 2) The Feast of St. John (June 24).
- 3) MITO Settembre Musica (September).
- 4) Turin Film Festival 2017 (November).
- 5) Luci d'Artista 2017 (Mid-November-January).
Featured Blog | 10 Fun & Insightful Guided Tours In Turin:
Experience Turin's history and culture first hand by trying one of these 10 must-do guided tours. They range from the world-famous Museo Egizio to the National Museum of Cinema and 3 breathtaking UNESCO-listed palaces. View the blog here.
2017 will see our City Sightseeing Florence bus tour paired with an exciting trio of famous attractions. Book a 48-hour bus pass and choose admission tickets for the Accademia Gallery, Uffizi Gallery or Florence Cathedral. We'll let you know when bookings are open.
Upcoming Tours / Attractions:
- City Sightseeing Florence 48-Hour Tour + Accademia Gallery.
- City Sightseeing Florence 48-Hour Tour + Uffizi Gallery.
- City Sightseeing Florence 48-Hour Tour + Florence Cathedral.
- Barberino Designer Outlet Shuttle Bus.
What's On In Florence? | Our Picks - 2017:
- 1) Florence Carnival (February 28th)
- 2) Scoppio del Carro - Explosion of The Cart (Easter Sunday)
- 3) Festa del Grillo 2017 (May)
- 4) Fiesole Summer Festival (June-August, TBC)
- 5) La Rificolona - Festival of the Lanterns (September)
Seen as an atypical city break destination to some, South Africa's largest city ranks high in cultural diversity and iconic historical attractions. At the start of December we improved our tour of Johannesburg by adding 2-day tickets plus optional guided tours of Soweto. Tickets also now include - as standard:
- 2 free Johannesburg walking tours (Braamfontein Culture & City Centre History).
- A 50% discount on Origins Centre admission when you present your bus ticket.
- A Gold Reef City Underground Tour for only R100 pp when you present your bus ticket.
What's On In Johannesburg? | Our Picks - 2017:
- 1) Neighbourgoods Market - Braamfontein (Every Saturday)
- 2) Soweto Wine Festival (3-5 March)
- 3) Sowing the Seeds Music Festival (April 4)
- 4) Lusito Land Festival (22 April - 2 May)
- 5) History of Humankind Tour at Maropeng Visitor Centre (Dec 19, 2016 - 31 October, 2017)
Amsterdam was one of our fastest growing destinations in 2016, with new additions including the Heineken Experience, canal cruise combo tickets and new money saving bus combos. The Water Colours Canal Cruise which went live at the start of December will also continue running until January 22nd. So if you're planning a quick post-Christmas trip to the Dutch capital consider sailing around the very best of Amsterdam's winter light festival.
Upcoming Tours / Attractions:
- 'Cruise Like A Local' Sightseeing Cruise.
- Small City Bike Tour.
- Casa Rosso.
Blog Highlights | Amsterdam 2016:
- Top 30 Things To Do In Amsterdam - Sometimes it's good to have all the options right in front of you, so we've compiled a list of the 30 best things to do in Amsterdam. Browse and book at your leisure.
- Escape Rooms In Amsterdam - Grab a bunch of friends, put your heads together, and see if you can all outwit one of Amsterdam's exciting Escape Room experiences.
- Cocktail Workshops & Brewery Tours In Amsterdam - Don't just sample the local tipples, learn the art of the barista at one of these fine cocktail workshops.
What's On In Amsterdam? | Our Picks - 2017:
- 1) Keukenhof Gardens (23 March - 21 May)
- 2) Tulp Festival (1 April - 15 May)
- 3) King's Day (27 April)
- 4) Artzuid (19 May - 17 September)
- 5) Grachtenfestival Amsterdam (11-20 August)
With certain 2016 events shaking confidence in more traditional European city break destinations, Malta proved an unwavering favourite. We've simplified our tour pages for the main island and Gozo, and added a new trio of helpful blog articles, which you can view below:
Blog Highlights | Malta 2016:
- 10 Days In Gozo | Family Things To See And Do - Travelling to Gozo with the folks? Travel blogger Sam shares her family-friendly sightseeing tips and activity recommendations with us.
- 5 Must-Visit Game Of Thrones Locations In Malta - Game of Thrones fan? Why not use the flexible City Sightseeing Malta tour to discover iconic filming locations?
- Top 10 Sites To Visit With A Heritage Malta Pass - From the neolithic to the early modern period, Malta is a nation steeped in 7000 years of history. It’s here that the Heritage Malta Pass comes in.
What's On In Malta? | Our Picks - 2017:
- 1) Valletta International Baroque Festival (12-28 January)
- 2) Malta & Gozo Carnival (24-28 February)
- 3) Malta International Arts Festival (23 June - 15 July)
- 4) Għanafest (24-29 June)
- 5) Notte Bianca Valletta (7 October)
Budapest is one of the most beautiful capital cities of the world, according to a New York Times article and millions of tourists from all around the globe. What sets it apart from its western European peers is its diverse architecture and the stark oppositions inherent within the city itself. The contrast between the districts of Buda and Pest, divided by the river Danube, is extraordinary and unmatched throughout the world.
We expect the Hungarian capital to be one of our fastest growing holiday destinations in 2017, as evidenced by the new range of sightseeing experiences we'll be introducing over the coming months. They are to name a few:
- 30-Minute Sightseeing Flight Over Budapest.
- Craft Beer Danube Cruise.
- Moonlight Cocktail Cruise.
- Hungarian Folk Show + Cruise.
What's On In Budapest? | Our Picks - 2017:
- 1) Farsang, Carnival Season (6 January - 10 February)
- 2) Budapest Dance Festival (24 February - 4 March)
- 3) Budapest Spring Festival (8-24 April)
- 4) Danube Carnival (6-21 June)
- 5) Budapest Summer Festival (12 June - 30 August)
Helsinki stands alongside Stockholm and Copenhagen as one of CityXplora's Scandinavian gems. From May 2nd until September 30th you'll be able to see the sights of Helsinki by open-top bus bus. Be sure to hop-off at the Church of the Rock, browse the Hietalahti Market, and catch a boat to Suomenlinna from Market Square.
What's On In Helsinki? | Our Picks - 2017:
- 1) Musica nova Helsinki 2017 (1-12 February)
- 2) Helsinki Beer Festival 2017 (7-8 April)
- 3) World Village Festival 2017 (27-28 May)
- 4) Tuska Open Air Metal Festival (30 June - 2 July)
- 5) Flow Festival 2017 (11-13 August)
- 6) Helsinki Festival 2017 (17 August - 3 September)
With its world renowned range of year-round festivals and hospitable atmosphere, no list of city break recommendations would be complete without Edinburgh. See the events we're most looking forward to in the Scottish capital below, and consider scooping up a popular Rabbies tour, or the popular Edinburgh Royal Ticket.
What's On In Edinburgh? | Our Picks - 2017:
- 1) Edinburgh International Science Festival (1-16 April)
- 2) Imaginate Festival (27 May - 4 June)
- 3) Edinburgh International Film Festival (21 June - 2 July)
- 4) Edinburgh Jazz & Blues Festival (14-23 July)
- 5) Edinburgh Art Festival (27 July - 27 August)
- 6) The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo (4-26 August)
- 7) Edinburgh Festival Fringe (4-28 August)
- 8) Edinburgh International Festival (5-29 August)
- 9) Edinburgh International Book Festival (12-28 August)
- 10) Edinburgh Mela (26-27 August)
From steaming paella and ice cold drinks in Barceloneta neighbourhood to Gaudi's architectural wonders - we don't expect any slowdown in interest towards La Ciudad Condal. See what we're most looking forward to in the Catalonian capital below, and consider checking out the new and improved Barcelona iVenture Card if you're planning break over the next few months.
What's On In Barcelona? | Our Picks - 2017:
- 1) Festes de Sant Medir (3 March)
- 2) Sónar Music Festival (15-17 June)
- 3) Corpus Christi (19 June)
- 4) Barcelona Summer Festival - 'The Grec' (July, TBC)
- 5) Barcelona Jazz Festival (October - November, TBC)
Looking to explore a little world lying just off the beaten track? Make a date with the Portuguese island of Madeira! Culturally vibrant and geographically isolated, it's the perfect destination for adventure lovers the world over. We offer an open-top sightseeing tour of Funchal for causal sightseers (or those on cruise stopovers), and full day 4x4 jeep safari tours for travellers looking to get more acquainted with the island.