Transport Between Central London And Southend Airport
Share This Article
There are a variety of ways to get to and from Southend Airport that avoid costly taxis and personal cars. Here you'll find a quick overview of the public transport links connecting the airport to central London.
We've focused on two forms of transport. The first is a shuttle bus by Ensign Bus that services: Lakeside, Canning Town, Embankment and London Victoria Stations. The second is a train service by Greater Anglia that services Liverpool Street Station. Both offer a quick and convenient means of reaching the heart of the capital.
To And From Victoria Train Station | X1 Bus Service
Jetlink X1 is an airport shuttle bus service operated by Ensign Bus. There are two departures each day, one from the airport at 23:40 (to London Victoria Station) and another to the airport at 03:00 (starting at London Victoria Stop 10A). In between, the bus calls at Embankment and Canning Town Underground stations, plus Lakeside Shopping Centre bus station.
The main benefit of the X1 Service is that it provides a convenient link from the city centre to the airport during the awkward hours between 01:00 and 04:30. If you're heading into central London then the X1 bus is easy to pick up on the main road right outside the terminal building.
Helpful information and a handy route map are available on our service page above.
To And From Liverpool Street Station | Greater Anglia Trains
Greater Anglia operate a train service between Liverpool Street Station and Southend Airport. The service varies depending on whether you travel on weekdays, Saturdays or Sundays, but it can summed up in simple terms as:
- 1a) Airport To Liverpool St Stn | Mon-Fri: 04:05 (arriving 05:06) to 23:05 (arriving 00:01).
- 1b) From Sept 9 to Dec 13 there is an additional departure at 23:59 (arriving 00:55).
- 2a) Airport To Liverpool St Stn | Saturdays: 04:05 (arriving 05:06) to 23:05 (arriving 23:58).
- 2b) From Sept 14 to Dec 14 there is an additional departure at 23:59 (arriving 00:55).
- 3a) Airport To Liverpool St Stn | Sundays: 06:19 (arriving 07:25) to 22:28 (arriving 23:27).
- 3b) From Sept 15 to Dec 08 there is an additional departure at 23:59 (arriving 00:55).
- 4a) Liverpool St Stn To Airport | Mon-Fri: 05:35 (arriving 06:38) to 00:50 (arriving 01:58).
- 4b) From Sept 9 to Dec 09 there is an additional departure at 04:30 (arriving 05:17).
- 4c) Also Sept 11 to Dec 13 - additional departure at 04:35 (arriving 05:29).
- 4d) Also Sept 10 to Dec 12 - additional departure at 04:35 (arriving 05:29).
- 5a) Liverpool St Stn To Airport | Saturdays: 05:36 (arriving 06:38) to 00:50 (arriving 01:58).
- 5b) From Sept 14 to Dec 14 there is an additional departure at 04:30 (arriving 05:18).
- 6) Liverpool St Stn To Airport | Sundays: 07:14 (arriving 08:21) to 00:44 (arriving 01:56).
A detailed timetable showing the departure frequency can be found on the Greater Anglia website (see timetable 1). Journeys from Southend Airport to Liverpool Street Station take approximately 53-60 minutes.