About The Galleria dell'Accademia:
The Accademia Gallery is a Florentine museum dedicated to the display and preservation of works by Italian masters such as Sandro Botticelli, Domenico Ghirlandaio, Andrea del Sarto, and most famously, Michelangelo.
Renowned for its small yet hugely influential sculpture collection, it also houses priceless Renaissance paintings by the likes of Santi di Tito and Alessandro Allori. Whether wrought of marble or oil, you'll encounter a wealth of definitive artworks side-by-side as you journey through the halls with a professional gallery guide.
While David is the museum's undisputed icon, he's prefaced by four half-finished figures that Michelangelo carved for the unrealised tomb of Pope Julius II. Known collectively as Michelangelo's Slaves or Prisoners, these characters were intended to represent the soul's captivity within human flesh and its inherent sin. Though never used for their intended purpose, it does seems apt that the slaves appear trapped by their incomplete forms.
Other highlights you'll witness while on the guided tour are Giambologna’s 'Rape of the Sabines', a dramatic plaster cast model displayed in the Hall of the Colossus; stunning religious paintings in the left and right wings of the Tribune, and the Grand Ducal instrument collection in the Museum of Musical Instruments.
schedule Guided Tour Days/Times:
- April 1 - October 31, 2019: Tuesday to Sunday at 10:15.
- November 1, 2019 - March 31, 2020: Tuesday to Sunday at 10:30.
- Exceptions: 7 Apr, 1 & 5 May, 2 Jun, 7 Jul, 4 Aug, 1 Sept, 6 Oct, Nov 5-10, Nov 22, Dec 8 and Jan 1.
10:15 indicates the time at which the guided tour will start, though the gallery itself is open Tuesday to Sunday from 08:15 to 18:50. After your tour has ended, feel free to explore the Accademia Gallery at your own pace until closing time.
place Departure Point:
- Front of Accademia Gallery's main entrance.
- Note! Voucher exchange required before departure point arrival, see Usage Instructions. The Accademia Gallery is located at Via Ricasoli 58-60 (near Piazza San Marco).
- English, Italian, Spanish, German and French.
- 1 Hour 15 Minutes.
directions_bus | City Sightseeing Florence Tour:
This guided tour of the Galleria dell'Accademia includes either a 24 or 48-hour hop-on hop-off bus pass. Click/tap the link below to find out more about Florence's official sightseeing tour.
- Click here for tour details.