About The Athens Open Tour:
If you wish to dedicate your sightseeing efforts to the centre of Athens then the standalone Athens hop-on hop-off bus tour is just the ticket. This sightseeing service provides unlimited, excellent value transport around the Greek capital's essential landmarks and attractions.
Explore the fascinating streets and stalls of medieval Plaka, ascend the Acropolis atop which rests the noble Parthenon, and witness wonders in the exciting National Archaeological Museum. The open-top buses are equipped with digital audio commentary in 12 different languages.
- All Year Round, Daily.
- Digital Audio: English, Greek, Spanish, German, Italian, French, Russian, Japanese, Turkish, Portuguese, Chinese and Arabic.
Tour Times / Frequency:
- April - November: 08:00 to 19:45, every 15-30 minutes.
- December - March: 09:00 to 17:30, every 15-30 minutes.
- See the Timetable Download for further details.
- Various, the Map Download or Itinerary List below.
- 1 Hour 30 Minutes.
- All Athens Open Tour buses feature handrails and ramps for wheelchair users.
Audio Guided Walking Tours:
- 1) The Acropolis and Parthenon walking tour begins at 11:15 and lasts 1 hour. It departs from bus stop 4 and ends at stop 1 (Syntagma Square).
- 2) The National Gardens walking tour starts at 12:15 and lasts 1 hour. It departs from bus stop 6 and ends at stop 8 (Panathenaic Stadium).
Tour Route Details:
What would you like to experience during your trip to the Greek capital? Whether it's the very best of the city's contemporary culture, natural wonders, or its famous ancient relics, a ticket for the Athens hop-on hop-off bus tour will widen the scope of your adventure.
There's 14 stops from which you can either begin or end your journey at any time in day. Maybe you spotted an interesting monument such as the Temple of Zeus or Hadrian's Arch and want to get a few close-up photos? Or an interesting retail spot like the shops along the Plaka district or Monastiraki Flea Market?
However you choose to break up your tour all you have to do to start it up again is catch the next bus. These open-top vehicles sport a striking yellow design and a prominent 'Athens Open Tour' logo. They frequent each of the 14 hop-on hop-off stops every 30 minutes, so you're unlikely to be waiting around for too long.
Key highlights include the Parthenon and adjacent New Acropolis Museum, the Panathenaic Stadium and the Benaki Museum. Climb the slopes of the Acropolis by hopping-off at stop 4 near the top of Dionysiou Areopagitou Street. During your ascent you'll encounter the Odeon of Herodes Atticus, the Temple of Athena, and the ruins of the Propylaea gateway.
The Panathenaic Stadium is reachable by disembarking at stop 8, a location which also places you close to the National Gardens and Zappeion, plus the Athens War Museum and Byzantine Museum.
One institution in particular that we'd highly recommend is the Benaki Museum, a treasure trove of art and ancient artefacts collected by the wealthy Benakis family. You'll see items dating as far back as Prehistoric Greece and the Roman period, to the the fall of Constantinople and early-modern Greece. Arrive at the Benaki by either strolling north through the National Gardens or hopping-off at stop 7. Just west of this point lies the Greek Parliament and Syntagma Square.