About The Big Bus Budapest Tour:
Discover Budapest by night and day, land and water, with this renowned sightseeing tour. Listen to insightful audio commentary in a choice of 23 languages while travelling aboard an open-top double-decker bus.
This is delivered via a set of complimentary earphones that you can take with you when you hop-off the bus. Enjoy your flexible access to the Hungarian capital and be sure to check out highlights such as the Parliament, Grand Synagogue and State Opera House.
- All Year Round, Daily.
- Digital Audio: English, Hungarian, German, French, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Polish, Swedish, Danish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Greek, Turkish, Arabic, Hebrew, Portuguese, Czech, Romanian, Croatian, Dutch and Norwegian.
Tour Times / Frequency:
- Red & Blue Route: 09:00 to 18:00, every 20-30 minutes.
- Night Tour: Departs daily at 19:30.
- Red & Blue Route: Various, see Map Download.
- Night Tour: Károly körút (Stop 9 - Blue Route).
- Red Route: 1 Hour.
- Blue Route: 1 Hour 15 Minutes.
- Night Tour: 1 Hour.
- Audio Guide (Headphones Included).
- Free On-Board Wi-Fi.
- Printed Tour Map & Leaflet.
- Free Mobile App (Downloadable On Bus).
- Wheelchair Accessible Buses.
The Big Bus Budapest tour features two hop-on hop-off sightseeing routes. Come and go as often as you please between key city landmarks such as Heroes Square, the Citadel on Gellert Hill and Margaret Island.
Each location on the itinerary list flips to another chapter in Budapest's cultural and political history, whether it's in the form of a grand memorial to the city's Magyar heritage or testaments to its 19th century renaissance. The latter is visible in architectural icons such as the Hungarian State Opera House (stop 12 - red route) and William Clark's Chain Bridge (stop 7 - blue route) connecting the formerly separate territories of Buda & Pest.
A few particularly fascinating Budapest landmarks to look out for include the Széchenyi Thermal Baths (also close to the Art & Gold Museums), Fisherman's Bastion in the Castle District, and Dohány Street Synagogue. New York is the only place in the world where you'll find a synagogue larger than the one at stop 10 (blue route) on the Big Bus Budapest tour.
Budapest's top museums also appear along the red sightseeing route. Disembark at stop 9 for the Hungarian National Museum, stop 13 for the Terror Museum and one dedicated to composer Franz Liszt, then stop 7 for the Hungarian National Gallery.
| Red Route - 14 Stops:
- 1) Heroes' Square (Olof Palme stny. 5 Budapest 1146).
- 2) Keleti Railway Station (Thököly út 2, Budapest 1076).
- 3) Hotel Hungaria (Rákóczi út 88, Budapest 1074).
- 4) New York Cafe (Erzsébet krt. 11, Budapest 1073).
- 5) Astoria Hotel (Rákóczi út 4, 1072. Budapest).
- 6) Buddha-Bar Hotel (Kossuth Lajos u. Budapest 1053).
- 7) Buda Castle - Citadel (Szirtes út 36, Budapest 1016).
- 8) Great Market Hall (Fővám tér 8, 1093 Budapest).
- 9) Hungarian National Museum (Múzeum krt. 43, 1053 Budapest).
- 10) Király Street (Károly krt. 21, Budapest 1075).
- 11) Big Bus Customer Service Centre (Andrássy út 3, 1061 Budapest).
- 12) State Opera House (Andrássy út 22, Budapest 1061).
- 13) Octogon/Liszt Ferenc Square (Andrássy út 45 Budapest 1061).
- 14) Heroes' Square (Olof Palme stny. 5 Budapest 1146).
| Blue Route - 14 Stops:
- 1) Clark Adam Square (Lánchíd u., Budapest 1013).
- 2) Batthyány Square (Batthyány tér, Budapest).
- 3) Margaret Bridge (West bank - Buda Side).
- 4) Nyugati Railway Station (Teréz krt. Budapest 1066).
- 5) Bathory St/Parliament (Bajcsy-Zsilinszky út 60, Budapest 1054).
- 6) St. Stephen's Basilica (Corner Szent István tér and Bajcsy-Zsilinszky út).
- 7) Chain Bridge (Eötvös tér, Budapest, 1051).
- 8) Petofi Square (Petőfi tér 2, Budapest 1052).
- 9) Károly Körút (Károly körút, Budapest, 1075).
- 10) Great Synagogue.
- 11) Astoria Hotel (Rákóczi út 4, 1072. Budapest).
- 12) Buddha-Bar Hotel (Kossuth Lajos u. Budapest 1053).
- 13) Castle Garden (Ybl Miklós tér 9-11, Budapest 1013).
- 14) Clark Adam Square (Lánchíd u., Budapest 1013).
Budapest Night Bus Tour:
As part of the Premium and Deluxe packages you'll be invited to partake in an evening journey around the heart of Budapest. Hop aboard the open-top buses at Károly Körút (stop 9) and kick back as you're driven along the glowing banks of the Danube River past radiant landmarks such as the Hungarian Parliament Building and Buda Castle.
The night bus tour lasts 1 hour and departs at 19:30. It's a fully guided tour and has no hop-on hop-off stops.
Danube River Sightseeing Cruise:
The buses aren't the only vehicles that provide transport during daytime. Go to stop 8 (Petofi Square - blue route) and take a short walk along to Dock 11, where you'll be able to join a sightseeing cruise of the Danube River.
There's 8 full departures every day, each one lasting approximately 2 hours. See the map download for details, and the list below for daily cruise times:
- 11:00* to 12:20.
- 12:30* to 14:20.
- 14:00* to 16:20.
- 15:30* to 18:20.
- 17:00* to 20:20.
- 18:30* to 20:50.
- 20:00 to 22:20.
- 21:30 to 22:45.
*These cruises include hop-on hop-off stops at Margaret Island and Batthyány Square.
Pest & Castle District Walking Tours:
Get a more intimate look into Budapest's dynamic cityscape by taking part in a guided walking tour of either Pest or the Castle District. These tours are lead by professional English-speaking Big Bus guides and run on alternating odd-even days. Ask a member of staff on your day of travel which one is operating. Departure times and locations are as follows:
- Pest Tour: Big Bus Customer Service Centre, Stop 11 (11:00). Duration: 1.5 Hours.
- Castle District Tour: Szentharomsag Square in front of Matthias Church (14:30). Duration: 1.5 Hours.