• Important Info •
Jewish walking tours of Budapest run daily from May to November, except on Saturdays.
Departure Times 2017 | Both Tours:
• May 1-Oct 31: 10:00 & 14:00.
• Nov 1- Nov 30: 10:00.
Tour Departure Point:
In front of Dohány Street Synagogue, Budapest, Dohány street. 2, 1074.
• Essentials Tour: 1.5 - 2 Hours.
• Grand Tour: Approx. 3 - 3.5 Hours.
Your Walking Tour | What's Included?
- Guidance by a professional local historian.
- Entry to Dohány St Synagogue, The Jewish Museum and Raoul Wallenberg Park.
- Access to the Jewish Quarter Exhibition in Goldmark Hall.
- Entry to Kazinczy St Synagogue (Grand Only).
- Freebies and discounts at two Kosher eateries (Grand Only).
Ticket Usage Instructions:
Please print out the tour pass you receive from this site and take it to the departure point in front of Dohány Street Synagogue, Budapest, Dohány street. 2, 1074.
Budapest's Jewish Heritage:
The cultural links between Budapest and Judaism are amongst the oldest on the European continent. Records of permanent settlement by exiles from the Middle East date as far back as the mid-14th century, and even prior to this Jewish communities had been documented in what is now Hungary around the 3-4th centuries A.D.
Throughout the ages these emigrants have imparted upon the Hungarian capital one of the most vibrant and robust Jewish societies outside of Israel. It's a heritage that has survived relatively intact into the present day, despite perils ranging from Ottoman Invasion to anti-semitic fascism. Discover it for yourself during a future visit by booking either the Essentials or Grand Jewish Heritage Walking Tours (details below).
About The Essentials Tour:
If you don't have a huge amount of time to spare yet are still interested in Budapest's Jewish story then you can't go wrong with the essentials tour. A professional guide will lead you into the heart of the Jewish Quarter on an exploration of its most iconic sites. Starting in front of Dohány Street Synagogue, you'll receive access to this incredible building as well as surrounding monuments such as the Tree of Life (Emanuel) Holocaust Memorial, Raoul Wallenberg Memorial Park and Jewish Cemetery. You'll also view the outer portions of Rumbach Street Synagogue.
All free entries are listed in the highlights section above. Note that walking tour participants also gain free entry to the Jewish Museum and an exhibition about the history of the Jewish Quarter in Goldmark Hall.
About The Grand Tour:
Everything that's included in the essentials tour is included the grand version. Instead of finishing up in Goldmark Hall, however, you'll continue onto the Carl Lutz Memorial Park, named after the Swiss Vice-Consul credited with saving over 60,000 Jews from from the Nazi extermination camps. See the plaque dedicated in his honour then wander over to historic Madách Imre Square with your guide. This is followed up with a journey across to Gozsdu Courtyard, an old yet refreshingly contemporary public space that was once the site of numerous Jewish businesses and prayer houses.
The final portion of the Grand tour takes you inside Europe's largest orthodox synagogue, the Kazinczy Street Synagogue. To top off your half-day heritage walk grab a free cake in the Fröhlich kosher confectionery store or enjoy 10% off a meal at Carmel Restaurant.
Essentials Tour | Stops & Places Of Interest:
- 1, Jewish Museum with local guiding.
- 2, Interior visit of the Dohány Street Synagogue.
- 3, Martyrs’ Cemetery - Holocaust Memorial Park.
- 4, Raoul Wallenberg Park.
- 5, Tree of Life.
- 6, Heroes’ Temple - (outside visit).
- 7, Jewish Centre.
Grand Tour | Stops & Places Of Interest:
- 1, Rumbach street Synagogue (Outside Visit).
- 2, Jewish Museum with local guiding.
- 3, Dohány Street Synagogue (Interior Visit).
- 4, Martyrs’ Cemetery - Holocaust Memorial Park.
- 5, Raoul Wallenberg Park.
- 6, Tree of Life.
- 7, Heroes’ Temple - (Outside Visit).
- 8, Jewish Centre.
- 9, Carl Lutz Memorial Park.
- 10, Madách Square.
- 11, Gozsdu Passage.
- 12, Orthodox Jewish Quarter.
- 13, Kazinczy Street Synagogue (Interior Visit).
- 14, Carmel Restaurant.