- Apr-Oct: 14:00 & 16:00, daily.
- Nov-Mar: 14:00 (Sat & Sun) & 16:00 (daily).
- 1 Hour 15 Minutes.
- Start: Mercat Cross, High Street.
- Finish: Underground Vaults, Blair Street, off Hunter's Square.
- Child tickets aged 5-15 years.
- Concession tickets include students and seniors.
- Family tickets include 2 adults and 2 children.
About The Edinburgh Historic Underground Walking Tour:
An extensive subterranean world lies beneath Edinburgh's streets and they contain a wealth of stories just waiting to be discovered. Join one of Mercat's professional historians on a descent into the Blair Street Underground Vaults, an eerie yet fascinating complex of former slums, taverns, storehouses and small businesses dating back to the late 18th century.
You'll hear about why the vaults were created, who their tenants were, how they developed and what their ultimate fate was. The tour provides a fascinating insight into the physical and cultural evolution of Edinburgh as a whole, all of which is recanted with tactful storytelling.
As the Blair Street Vaults History Tour is conducted on foot, sometimes outdoors, it is recommended that you bring appropriate clothing depending on the weather conditions.
Please note that children under the age of 5 are not permitted on any Mercat walking tour.