About The Eger Day Tour:
Discover the secluded valleys and ancient history of Heves County on this full day tour from Budapest. Your journey begins with a drive north to the city of Eger, a place with a long and turbulent past. Its eponymous castle was the site of a famous siege by the Ottomans in 1552, in which they were repelled and held at bay for a further 44 years.
When the Turks returned in 1596 there was no such struggle for self-determination, and the city fell into a 91-year period of Ottoman rule. It was during this time that Eger Minaret was constructed, currently the northernmost Ottoman minaret in Europe.
Elsewhere, you'll encounter monuments in a varied array of architectural styles including Romanesque (Eger Cathedral), Baroque (Minorite Church) and Neoclassical (Basilica of St. John the Apostle).
After exploring Eger city centre, the tour continues onto the 'Valley of the Beautiful Woman'. Centred around the area's historic wine cellars, this charming collection of open-air restaurants is where you'll be treated to lunch plus a tasting of 3 local wine varieties.
At the end of the tour you'll be returned to Budapest city centre (Deák Ferenc Square). There's no set departure point, instead you'll be collected from your hotel reception around 08:30. Please notify your hotel address to (firstname.lastname@example.org) either before or after placing your booking.
- June - October, 2019 | Tuesdays.
- Live English-speaking guide.
- German, French, Italian, Spanish and Russian not guaranteed, but open to request.
schedule Tour Times:
- Depart: 09:00 (prepare for collection at 08:30).
- Return: Approximately 18:00.
place Departure Point:
- Budapest hotels (see bottom of Bookings Tab for details).
- Hotel pick-ups must be arranged at least 24 hours in advance. The drop-off point is next to Deák Ferenc Square.
- Approx. 9 hours.