About The Florence Cathedral Guided Tour:
Organised by City Sightseeing Italy and offered in conjunction with their Florence hop-on hop-off bus tour, this fascinating guided tour the Duomo di Firenze offers definitive insights into the city's architectural centrepiece.
Accompanied by a professional English speaking guide you'll skip the normal entrance queue for fast-track access to the central nave and Filippo Brunelleschi's iconic octagonal dome. This feat of engineering is still the largest brick-built structure of its kind in the world, and its orange tiles have been a symbol of the city for centuries.
It's not just the dome's tiled exterior that captivates visitors; the interior features a vast radial fresco by Italian Renaissance painter Giorgio Vasari. Your guide will reveal the secrets behind its creation and complex religious imagery. Elsewhere you'll explore the remains of the original cathedral upon which the Santa Maria del Fiore was built. The Santa Reparata as it's known has existed in one form or another since the 6th century. While nothing of the original building is currently visible above ground various elements can still be seen in the cathedral basement.
From subterranean mosaics and bas-reliefs to sweeping city views, you'll proceed to the Duomo terraces with your guide. See the cathedral exterior up-close while learning about its construction, symbolism and other expert trivia.
Dress Code: Be aware that as an active religious site you will be required to wear appropriate clothing. Garments must at least cover the knees and shoulders, and visitors should refrain from wearing sunglasses and hats.
schedule Guided Tour Days/Times:
- April 1 - October 31, 2019: Monday to Saturday at 14:30.
- Nov 1, 2019 - Mar 31, 2020: Monday to Saturday at 10:30.
- Exceptions: 18-20 Apr, 24 Jun and 15 Aug.
- 14:30/10:30 indicates the time at which the guided tour will start, though the cathedral itself is open Monday to Saturday from 10:00 to 17:00. After your tour has ended, feel free to explore the cathedral at your own pace until closing time.
place Departure Point:
- Until Oct 31, 2019: Front of Florence Cathedral's main entrance.
- Nov 1, 2019 - Mar 31, 2020: Piazza di San Giovanni, 19R, in front of the Café Scudieri.
- Note: Voucher exchange required before departure point arrival, see Usage Instructions. Florence Cathedral's main entrance is located at Piazza del Duomo, 50122 Firenze.
- 1 Hour 30 Minutes.
directions_bus | City Sightseeing Florence Tour:
This guided tour of Florence Cathedral includes either a 24 or 48-hour hop-on hop-off bus pass. Click/tap the link below to find out more about Florence's official sightseeing tour.
- Click here for tour details.