About The Elsinore & Southern Sweden Day Tour:
- See below for a concise itinerary list.
This full day excursion covers the history and culture of Hamlet's Elsinore Castle (Kronborg), plus the cities and beautiful countryside of Southern Sweden. Starting outside the Grand Hotel in Copenhagen, you'll be greeted by a friendly English-speaking tour guide. Once everyone has arrived the bus will leave the capital via Strandvejen road. This scenic route offers fantastic views of the Øresund strait that separates Denmark from southern Sweden.
Eventually you'll arrive at the picturesque medieval town of Helsingør, popularly known in English as 'Elsinore' through the writings of William Shakespeare. The Bard of Avon is reputed to have modelled Hamlet's castle on Helsingør's key attraction - 15th century Kronborg Castle. Strategically positioned at the entrance to the Øresund strait, Kronborg played a vital role in enforcing the Danish King's tolls on passing ships entering his coastal waters.
After a short stay at Hamlet's Castle, you'll proceed by vehicle ferry across the Øresund to Sweden. From here it's a scenic countryside drive towards the historic city of Lund. Lund is best known for its medieval cathedral, but during your visit you'll also see Lund University and have a chance check out Kulturen open-air museum (entry not included with your tour ticket).
Lund is an ideal place to pause for lunch. Saluhallen at Mårtenstorget square is an indoor market boasting plenty of restaurants, including Italian, Persian and Japanese. There's also the option of Expresso House coffee shop for light refreshments, or Max Burgers for a native Swedish fast food treat.
The last Swedish location you'll visit is Malmö, the country's third largest city. Here you can treat yourself to a spot of good value shopping or dinner if you haven't already grabbed something to eat in Lund. After Malmö you'll return to Copenhagen via the iconic Øresund Bridge.
- May 20 - 31 October, 2018.
- Live English-Speaking Guide.
- Meet: 09:15.
- Depart: 09:30.
- Outside Grand Hotel (Vesterbrogade 9, 1620 København V).
- Approximately 8-hours.
- Entry fee for Hamlet's Castle.
- Entry fee for Kulturen open-air museum.
- Food and Drink.
- 1) Copenhagen (Depart).
- 2) Scenic coastal drive up Strandvejen.
- 3) Helsingør and Hamlet's Elsinore Castle.
- 4) Øresund Crossing By Ferry.
- 5) Scenic drive through Swedish countryside.
- 6) City of Lund and Lund Cathedral.
- 7) Malmö (Shopping and free exploration).
- 8) Copenhagen (Return via Øresund Bridge).