About The Museu da Misericórdia do Porto:
The Museu da Misericórdia do Porto (MMIPO) is a visitor attraction that merges the artistic, architectural and religious heritage of Porto. It's located on Rua das Flores in the city's historic centre, close to Porto Cathedral, Bolsa Palace and Clérigos Tower. On one hand the museum presents the history of the Misericórdia do Porto through exhibition spaces such as the Gallery of Benefactors and the adjacent Igreja da Misericórdia. Equally, its stunning art collection serves as treat for any culture lover.
The Misericórdia do Porto is a branch of the 'Santa Casa da Misericórdia', a Lisbon-based charity founded by Eleanor of Viseu in 1498. It's one of oldest charities in the world and currently operates as an NGO separate from the Catholic Church or any state. 'Misericórdia' is Portuguese for Mercy, reflecting the organisation's dedication to serving vulnerable people from all walks of life.
The art collection held at MMIPO is the result of centuries worth of donations from wealthy individuals. It includes: paintings, sculpture, glassware, liturgical garments and even medical equipment from across the ages. You'll see these as you pass through the three floors of the museum - starting from the top and working down. After exploring the art displays you'll enter the church (igreja). This building was constructed in the 16th century, with various alterations taking place throughout the years.
Today visitors can admire the beautiful Baroque façade added in the 18th century by Nicolau Nasoni, and the vivacious blue-and-white-tiled walls of the nave.
- All Year Round, Daily | Except Dec 24, 25 and Jan 1.
- Audio guides and written content in English and Portuguese.
- Certain areas may feature Portuguese-only audio.
- Apr 1 - Sept 30: 10:00 to 18:30 (last entry at 18:00).
- Oct 1 - Mar 31: 10:00 to 17:30 (last entry at 17:00).
- Rua das Flores 15, 4050-265 Porto.
- Average visits to MMIPO last approximately 1 hour.
- Museu da Misericórdia is accessible to wheelchair users (except church choir).
- Standard and disabled toilets.
- Free Wi-Fi.
- Baby changing facilities.
- Lockers are available for the storage of personal belongings.
Hop-off at stop 9 on the City Sightseeing Porto bus tour.