About The Pitlochry, Aviemore & Cairngorms Tour:
See, feel and taste the very best of the Scottish Highlands on this 9 hour 45 minute tour departing Edinburgh city centre. Meet your professional Lothian Motor Coaches guide at Charlotte Square. As well as insightful English-language commentary you can expect quality on board amenities including: air conditioning, reclining seats, footrests, Wi-Fi, USB charging and even a washroom.
Your journey begins with a drive across the Firth of Forth towards the resort town of Pitlochry. Nestled on the banks of the River Tummel, flanked by wooded mountains, and dotted with fine Victorian-era buildings, Pitlochry is, as far as towns go, the epitome of 19th century Scottish romanticism. In fact, it was one of Queen Victoria's favoured stops on her 1842 visit to Perthshire. With an hour's free time to explore as you will, be sure to check out the local tea rooms, Blair Athol Distillery or the famous Salmon Ladder & Hydro-Electric Dam.
Leaving Pitlochry you'll ascend into the Cairngorms National Park, passing tranquil lochs and rugged mountain ranges as you go. Let this epic scenery roll by until you arrive at the foothills of CairnGorm, site of the UK's highest funicular railway. While the cost of a ride to the summit is not included in this tour there will be ample free time to make the trip should you want to pay your own way. Afterwards, the coach will head into the town of Aviemore where there will be a chance to try some traditional Scottish dishes in the local cafés and restaurants.
Later that afternoon you'll begin the return journey south, but not before one final stop. The Hermitage, a protected woodland trail around Dunkeld offers scenic walking routes that have been popular with visitors since the 18th century. During your short visit you'll have time to discover some of the route's key attractions, such as Ossian's Cave and the thundering Black Linn waterfall.
- Aug 4 - Sept 29, 2018 | Tuesdays and Saturdays.
- Live English-speaking guide.
- Depart: 08:15.
- Return: Approximately 18:00.
- Charlotte Square, Edinburgh.
- Approximately 9 hours 45 minutes.
- Lunch And Refreshments.
- Visitor Attraction Admission Fees.
- 1) Charlotte Square, Edinburgh (Depart).
- 2) Firth of Forth Crossing.
- 3) Pitlochry.
- 4) Scenic drive through Cairngorms National Park.
- 5) CairnGorm Mountain Funicular Railway.
- 6) Aviemore - Food (not included) and Shopping.
- 7) The Hermitage, Dunkeld - Woodland Walk.
- 8) Charlotte Square, Edinburgh (Return).