About World Of Discoveries:
If you've ever wondered how our modern globalised world came about then look no further than World of Discoveries in Porto. From Magellan to Cabral and da Gama, this Age of Discovery themed museum traces the footsteps of Portugal's greatest explorers. You'll experience their lives and journeys through interactive displays and thematic set pieces that recreate Earth around the turn of the modern age.
Begin your 'voyage' in 15th century Portugal, where the driving forces behind Europe's westward expansion are revealed, as well as the technological advances that made it possible. At the shipyard you'll encounter the vessels that transported early explorers and their crews to shores unknown. This was an era when global travel was fraught with danger, leading to countless failed ventures and innumerable casualties. Yet faced with the prospect of honour and fortune beyond imagination men such as Henry the Navigator and Bartolomeu Dias pressed on regardless.
Board a caravel at the Port of Lisbon and sail to 12 more themed areas, each representing a territory either visited or settled by Portugal (see attraction map). Witness the Conquest of Ceuta, brave the fearsome Cape of Good Hope, make landfall on the shores of Brazil and much more. This audio guided boat ride finishes outside the 'Sphera Mundi' gift shop.
- All Year Round, Daily | Except Dec 25 and Jan 1.
- Audio and written content is available in: English, Portuguese, Spanish, French, German and Italian.
- Weekdays: 10:00 to 18:00 (last entry at 17:00).
- Weekends & Public Holidays: 10:00 to 19:00 (last entry at 18:00).
- Rua de Miragaia 106, 4050-386 Porto.
- Average visits to World of Discoveries last approximately 1 hour.
- World of Discoveries is accessible to wheelchair users.
- Standard and disabled toilets.
- Sphera Mundi gift shop.
- Upper floor restaurant (open from 12:00).
- No cloakrooms are available for the storage of personal belongings.
Hop-off at stop 27 (red route) on the City Sightseeing Porto bus tour.