About The Zwack Unicum Museum:
Hungary’s most famous liqueur has a mysterious and somewhat shrouded history, starting with its recipe, which remains a secret of the Zwack family to this day. It was created by József Zwack, who served as Royal Physician to Joseph II in the late 18th century. Having tasted the unique drink made for him by his doctor, the emperor is said to have declared: "Dr. Zwack! This is a Unicum!" And so the iconic name was born.
Although the precise recipe remains unknown to this day, it's clear that the taste of Unicum is enhanced by more than 40 herbs, making it an exceptionally aromatic aperitif, not to mention the additional benefits.
Upon entry you'll be shown a short film telling the inspirational story of the Zwack family and their 200+ year old legacy.
After the screening you'll be taken on a tour of the factory, starting with the impressive Unicum exhibition (aided by English audio guides), which charts the turbulent history of this exceptional product. Further details are revealed in the depths of the factory cellars. With the help of a professional tour guide you'll explore a labyrinth of casks where the spirits are aged, plus sample them fresh from the barrel!
During the tasting session you'll try three different versions of the liqueur: Unicum Original, sweet Unicum Plum (the brand’s latest addition), and the truly sumptuous Unicum Riserva, which is matured in barrels that survived WWII.
Acquaint yourself with healthiest Hungarian liqueur and discover the spirit of Budapest!
- All Year Round, Daily | Except Sundays, 24 & 31 Dec and Jan 1.
- Live English and Hungarian-Speaking Guides.
- Digital Audio Guides: English, German, Russian, French, Polish and Italian.
- Budapest, Dandár u. 1, 1095 Hungary.
- Monday to Saturday - 10:00 to 17:00.
Tour Times / Frequency:
- English Language - 10:15, 12:00 and 15:00.
- Hungarian Language - 10:15, 12:00, 14:00 and 15:00.
- All tours last approximately 1 hour.